15 August 2019

Calista's Baptism Day

On July 27, 2019, Calista was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It was a very special day.
I made her dress, and she looked so very beautiful dressed all in white.

Definitely worth the time I spent on it, seeing how happy it made her. Plus, Caleb told her she looked like a princess in white.
She and I went on a date, in her dress, to take pictures all over the Muttart Conservatory. It was so fun!
I seriously love this little girl!



We had a lot of love and support of friends and family.
My parents and sister came from Oregon to be here,
Grandpa Ken came up,
and Uncle Kirk and Aunt Rachel brought their whole family to celebrate with us.
Even those that couldn't make it sent messages and notes of support.

When planning out her baptism, we let Calista pick who would participate. One of the big surprises was when she asked Craig to give the opening prayer. Kyler and I were hesitant, but willing. We had Craig practice a time or two, and when it was time for the actual prayer at the baptism, he got up and... looked at us.
"I forgot what I'm supposed to say." 
Well, think about it and then pray. 
"But what should I pray about?" 
It's Calista's baptism, pray about that.
When he realized we weren't going to jump up and whisper in his ear, Craig gave a little sigh, and then began to pray. I don't remember exactly what he said, but it was absolutely perfect and adorable. I was so grateful that he could bring the Spirit and participate in Calista's baptism day.

We sang some lovely songs that Calista picked, "When I Am Baptized," "I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus," and "I Will Follow God's Plan for Me." She asked Aunt Loradona to play piano, and decided she wanted to conduct the music.
She did a lovely job!

My mom gave a talk on baptism, at Calista's request. Grammie May gave Calista a silver spoon to remember that baptism, the sacrament, and repentance can keep her shiny and clean, and wipe away any tarnish.

The baptism itself was performed by Kyler, with Calista's two grandfathers, Grandpa Ken and Grandpa May, serving as the witnesses.
Calista had practiced with Kyler plugging her nose and bending her knees, and they both did it perfectly.

Soaking wet, they returned to hear Calista's cousin, Ivory, give a talk on the Holy Ghost. Ivory taught Calista that the Holy Ghost is a comforter, a teacher, and can help her remember, as mentioned in John 14:26. While listening to Ivory's talk, I thought, "I hope the Holy Ghost can help Calista remember how she felt this day for many years to come."



Kyler again did the confirmation, assisted by Grandpa Ken, Grandpa May, and Bishop Johnston. Kyler blessed Calista to be able to come to know the Holy Ghost, and be able to remember the promises she has made and to obey. He also blessed her to be able to take upon herself the name of Christ so others will see Christ in her example. Kyler told Calsita she is loved and supported, and that she should lean on the people around her. Calista felt the Holy Ghost during the confirmation and cried a little bit.


Bishop Johnston then spoke a little, Grandpa May gave the closing prayer (no prompting needed from us), and we had a cookie buffet as a treat! Yum!


I was so proud of Calista for choosing to be baptized, and for her growing testimony. It was a very special day. Calista told me I could read what she wrote in her journal. An excerpt: "I felt very, very happy, and calm, safe, joyful, and... I just loved it!"
I loved it too, kiddo.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...