09 October 2021

Gold Medal Hikes

It may or may not have been wise, especially since I still had shingles, but the weekend after I got back from Italy, our family headed to Jasper for a couple of nights.
After having spent two weeks away from my kiddos, it was a lot of fun to be with them again and hear their thoughts. 
I loved Craig telling me all the different things he saw in the clouds as we drove. 
I adored Calista telling creepy ghost stories:
Once upon a time, a man was visiting a museum. He saw a mammoth on display, but it was actually alive! The mammoth said to the man, "I want cheese from this future! Bring me cheese within a week, or else!"
The man didn't really care, but he went to get some cheese in a town a week's walk away. 
A week later, the mammoth came and demanded to know where its cheese was. When the man didn't have any, the mammoth said, "well, since you didn't bring me cheese, I will curdle your blood to make cheese, and eat you!"
And the mammoth ate the man's curdled blood cheese.
The end
It was nice to be with my family.
Not everything was nice, necessarily. Overnight was cold - I think it got down to 3C. Thankfully I'd checked the weather ahead of time and we brought extra blankets. Caleb woke up cold around 2 AM... But he wasn't even in his sleeping bag. Otherwise the night went fine.
The morning, though, meant getting out of the sleeping bags and blankets. 
Which also meant grumpy, cold children. Until Craig threw up on the hiking trail (!?!), then everyone got happier. 
In spite of the grumpiness, Saturday was as beautiful morning for a beautiful hike. 
We did Valley of the Five Lakes, which we had never done before. 
Calista and Craig said the hike earns a gold medal: it's their favorite ever. 
It wasn't easy: when we were nearly back to the trailhead, a group of hikers setting out asked if it was mostly level for the rest of the hike. I answered with a firm, no. It was uphill and downhill and difficult at times - especially when I was wearing the backpack (and it was irritating my shingles rash). Once Kyler took it from me, I could handle it all much better. I'm glad we tried it out.

We also went to Athabasca Falls, 
because we can't not go when we're in Jasper.
We hiked Edith Cavell again.
Apparently it's also in the kiddos' top 5 hikes. Maybe even top 2.
While we were sitting overlooking the pond and glacier, we saw and heard a couple of small avalanches.
And that, my friends, is why we don't go past the trail down to the pond...

Our second night in Jasper was a bit warmer, but much wetter.
Wet wood does not catch fire easily...
Maybe next trip we'll try again.
It was another cool morning, but beautiful, as we packed up our tent and prepared to head home.
But not before first checking out Annette Lake.
It has a nice paved trail, 
So thankfully we didn't get caught in any quicksand.

I love going to Jasper, but it can be pretty exhausting.
Good thing these boys aren't driving home!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...