08 July 2014

The Grand Road Trip 2014, part 1

We went on The Grand Road Trip 2014 the last few weeks, so clearly we need to tell the world about our adventures! I'm thinking I'll do this in three parts: the first, our trip down to Idaho and the Butikofer reunion; the second, our trip to Utah; the third, our trip back to Canada and Canada Day celebrations. So, here's the first part: Our trip down to Idaho and the Butikofer Reunion.

This leg began (and ended, actually) less than ideally: the evening before we left home, Calista said her tummy hurt, so we let her rest and watch Lion King. Partway through... she threw up, all over the blanket, pillow, and couch. Yay for doing laundry on the eve of our departure! Even better, the morning we left... I threw up. Good omens, no?
Feeling a little less than ideal after the shortest leg of our trip...

This was Craig's first roadtrip, and I was anxious. When we took a roadtrip with Calista at the same age, I was able to sit part of the time in the back seat with her. She also took a bottle of pumped milk like a champ, so I would pump and feed her in the car while Kyler drove. These things were not options for us this time, so I had no idea what to expect. But, I was pleased to discover that, apart from a bit of fussiness right before he would fall asleep, he was excellent!
The vast majority of the time, he was happy to look out the window, play with his toes (and some toys), or laugh at Calista.
As for Calista, she was also pretty good. I bought her some duplos for her trip, and my mom sent her a little magnetic paper doll, and they were totally worth it. She was a little whiny sometimes, but all in all, it wasn't too bad.

So, after two days in the car, we made it to Idaho. Mom and Dad were already there, bearing gifts of cute clothes which Calista promptly insisted on changing into... and then promptly ran through the sprinkler on the grass, getting herself completely soaked and causing us to change her clothes back. Such is life with the almost-3-year-old.


That night, we sang karaoke. Calista sang and danced before she went to bed...
...but only when there was a song. Otherwise, it's just silly.

Kyler was a rock star, staying in our cabin (or right outside) with our kidlets while they didn't want to sleep, so that I could spend time with my family.

The next day, we hung out with family and walked around the campground.
We found some of my dad's cousins and their kids and grandkids, and Calista enjoyed playing with cousins... until one of them threw a rock and hit her in the head. Yeah, she was definitely not pleased with that. But between the hugs, ice pack, ibuprofen, and some ice cream Grammie May bought her, she was found a way to solider on.
Then we did the family reunion. It was fun, with lots of people and yummy food. Plus the auction is always amusing, and Calista was thrilled when Kyler bought her a crown and wand.
 She kept "using" her wand on people and objects, turning them all into princes or princesses.


That night was rough. Calista had a night terror, and was screaming for nearly an hour. She finally woke up, said, "Daddy, you there?" After he affirmed that yes, he was there right on her bed, she said, "I need a hug," then after receiving it, rolled over and went back to sleep.
And since she as no longer screaming, I was able to get Craig back to sleep and go back to bed myself. Still, definitely not a fun night.

Sunday we went to sacrament meeting, then out to lunch at a Chinese buffet that ended up not being a good idea (vomit #2 of the trip later that night for me), and then just hung out with my parents.
And Grandma!
It was nice to go on little walks, pick up rocks, and talk with my parents.
Though, the adults (myself included!) mostly held onto the rocks that a certain little girl picked up instead...
Or held onto the girl herself.


My mom also got to put a tiny amount of gel in Craig's hair.
She loved the result.

Then eventually on Monday, we said good bye to my parents and headed down to Utah...
...to be continued...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...