31 July 2016

Ready or not, here comes five!

I can't quite believe it. My beautiful  baby  girl is now 5! She keeps telling me that means it is time for her to start kindergarten. It's crazy to think she's right!

Yet again, Calista had a couple of requests. She made a birthday present request one day while we were driving in the car. "Mom, for my birthday I want... anything you want to get me." Done, and done! She also told us previously that she wanted a birthday card, and she finally asked for a blue chocolate cake.
I am pleased to report that all of her requests were granted.
 And then some...
 She got lots of Legos, a basketball, and magazine subscription, and more Princess in Black books.
She was thrilled.
After presents and breakfast, we headed to Banff, where she requested we spend the day.
 First up was a hike near Lake Minnewanka, to the Stewart Canyon Bridge.
 The hike was fairly simple, and the kiddos mostly liked it... especially when we sang "The Ants Go Marching..."
The bridge had a nice view of the river - the water is so clear! - and was a great place to hike to.
 And also, to stop for a little snack break,
Complete with juice boxes.
Then we headed back to Lake Minnewanka for a picnic lunch.
And some lakeside relaxing.
We had ham sandwiches, strawberries, and lemonade. All of Calista's favorite things.
And, of course, the kids also threw rocks into the lake.
Because it's not a proper trip to Banff without rock throwing, I suppose.
After we finished throwing rocks, we headed into town for some ice cream.
We went to Cow's, and it, true to it's name, had a cow.
 Also, ice cream. It was pretty tasty.
Calista and Craig played some on the rocks on the sidewalk after ice cream, while I nursed Caleb, and then we headed to the Banff Museum. Finally, we walked back to the car, stopping for some pictures along the way.
After an uneventful drive back to Calgary, it was cake time!
The day before, Calista and Craig "helped" me make the blue chocolate cake.

Also known as chocolate cake with blue vanilla frosting.

And Calista and I had some fun taking pictures of her and her cake.
 Funny thing, notice the gouge out of the side of the frosting?
 Calista admitted to me that she took a little pre-birthday liberties.
 Maybe she thought I wouldn't notice?
Of course, I did. But it also doesn't really matter.
The night culminated with a rendition of "Happy Birthday,"
Including Calista taking five attempts to blow out her candle, because she is five!
And then, of course, we ate cake. Yum.

Happy birthday, Calista!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...