02 April 2018

Screen-Free Spring Break, 2018 Edition

Another spring break, another time screen-free. Also, another success. The weather didn't cooperate very well with us, causing me to change a few plans along the way, but the kiddos did amazing. For the most part.

We started the week with a trip to West Edmonton Mall, specifically to the Sea Life Caverns and the Sea Lion Show.
A few weeks back, Craig had a penguin from the Caverns visit his preschool, and he told me that if we see a penguin with two yellow bands, we'd know it was Dayo.
So, naturally, finding Dayo was high on his personal to-do list. I'm pleased to say we were successful.
Dayo!
Calista really wanted to see sharks, and we succeeded at that, too.
Her favorite was the black tipped reef shark, but the group of nurse sharks were pretty cool, too.
I liked seeing the sea turtles and Caleb liked running around free!
The sea lion show was pretty cool.
I didn't really get a very good picture because I was actually watching, but it was fun.
The day was exhausting, and I expected both boys to fall asleep on the way home. I was wrong. Craig managed to make it home, through dinner, and into pajamas before passing out on the playroom floor.




Day two, and we decided to head downtown on the train to go see Daddy for lunch.
Everyone did such a good job listening to me and staying safe, so it was really fun.
We got to see Kyler's work and be introduced to everyone.
Then we headed to the legislature grounds.
I was originally hoping for nicer weather, but alas. We cut the walk short and headed to a tasty lunch, then said goodbye to Daddy and came home.
At home, Dragonfly Girl and Bug Boy (also known as The Bug Team) played and painted and generally had a grand old time.
We played an epic Candyland game, lasting through two decks of cards and Craig's patience.
Everyone got within a single turn of winning, just to draw a cupcake or lollipop and be sent back to last place. It was a lot of fun.
We also went and bought a couch. The kids' favorite part of this was the play area at the store, complete with slide.

Saves little kids from trying to jump on couches, I suppose!




Day three, and we took advantage of the last "decent" day and headed to the zoo... as a dragon and a tiger, and a baby and me.
We had a blast in spite of the snow, and I'm glad I insisted that Craig wear his gloves. Kiddos loved seeing the lemurs most of all, I think, though they didn't like when the lemurs got really loud at one point.
They're noisy creatures! Much like my kids...
On the way home, I had three sleeping children! Ugh!
After short naps, everyone headed outside as various animals and had a grand old time.
They also played a game: "Okay, pretend Craig is King and I'm a Queen, and our kingdom is having Summer Fest tomorrow. We need to get rid of all the snow and the wetness off the fields! We have to have Summer Fest every year, but it can't wait until summer actually begins because the next summer isn't for 200 years!"
Let me tell you, with the way this spring has started, I'm kind of feeling that...


Thursday, we headed to the library and got more books - Calista needed to read a lot over the break! - and the kids also actually did get some screen-time on the library computers.
We also got our new couch delivered,
along with a little bit of Styrofoam, which in the hands of the four year old became a lot of Styrofoam.
He has the power to multiply inanimate objects, it seems.
Oh, and, of course, we played Legos.



Originally, we were going to go to the zoo on Friday, because Kyler had Good Friday off.
However, we changed that plan because of weather. So, instead, we went to Home Depot to buy furnace filters, among other things. So exciting! But, when we got to Home Depot, they were doing a kids' workshop building a wheelbarrow. Calista basically did it all on her own,
just the tiniest bit of help here and there,
and Kyler and Craig did a great job putting one together, too.
Caleb stayed in the cart so he didn't accidentally get his fingers smashed.

Friday afternoon, the kiddos finally started to really get on my nerves. We tried to play Candyland again, but...
as you can see, that didn't work out. The villagers are getting restless. Still, we persevered and made it through the day, finished off the week! Yay!



One of the things Calista and Craig did this week was put on shows for us.
Calista made up songs and she and Craig sang and danced to them.
They were only slightly macabre.

My favorite part of screen-free time like this is that it encourages them to play together more and be creative.
I think I need to do this more often...

My other favorite part is that Calista again read 100 books!
Woohoo!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...