27 July 2012

Happy First Birthday!

It's happened. The little girl I carried inside me for 9 months, the little girl I labored with for two days, the little girl I struggled to push out of me for 3.5 hours... she has turned one.
 The first thing we did when she woke up yesterday morning was show her all the presents she had waiting for her.
She liked that idea (or maybe just the camera) a lot. But before we let her open presents, we took her to go get her 12-month vaccines.
 When we got home and let her open presents, she wasn't quite as excited about them.
Poor sad baby. 
She kept pushing the presents away from her.
 We'd give them back.
And then she'd push them away (and onto the floor) again.
 Eventually, I helped her unwrap one.
She liked what was inside, but not the paper!
 This car is fun!
 It clicks every time you move it.
 The hat didn't last long.
 Because of her post-vaccines fussiness, we only unwrapped a couple of presents at that time.
 But the ones we did unwrap, she liked!
After presents, it was time for birthday cake!
 I made a chocolate chip cheesecake for her, because, you know, she likes cheese.
One year old!
 She didn't know how to blow out the candle, though she was interested in the flame. No, Calista, I won't let you burn yourself.
 Still a little hesitant...
 Um, yeah, this is good.
 I'll just put the entire thing in my mouth, okay?
Birthdays are tasty!
 Can she eat the entire thing? 
 I don't know, but she's going to try...
She's starting to slow down.
So we took the cheesecake away.
Messy, happy birthday girl!
All that remains of the cheesecake.

In spite of her vaccines, it was a good day. Maybe next year, we won't be so mean and get her poked and hurt on some day other than her birthday.

2 comments:

Wodin said...

I love her. The end. And I love that she tried to either smear her body with cheesecake or wipe it off her body. Oh, funny girl!

Diane said...

I thought, "Oh, look at how daintily she is eating her cake!" I almost died when she picked the whole thing up! So funny.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...