07 October 2015

Why not marshmallows and the TV?

Some days, I wonder why I should even try. Why did I bother to get myself and my children dressed? Why did I not just stick them in front of the TV with marshmallows and ignore them? They would probably have more fun that way. Why did I try to have fun, teach them, or do anything at all?

After all, it's just going to lead to Calista screaming at me because she's not cutting things out perfectly, or gluing the papers together just so, or the markers aren't coloring the way she wants.
It's just going to lead to Craig freaking out because I won't let him use all the glue on all the things, or let him throw crayons and scissors.
And, of course, them both freaking out will lead me to just break. I'll start to cry and when Calista asks what's wrong, I'll tell her, "I'm just trying to be the best mother I can be for you, but it's not working. It's not enough. I can't do it."

And then she will give me a hug and say, "Mom, I love you just how you are. You're a good mom."
And my tears won't stop, but they will change. My heart will change, moving closer to where it should be.

The goal isn't to have my children be happy. Not really. The goal is to have them be better people in the end.
And with her words, Calista is showing me that maybe, just maybe, it's working. And so I will try again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...