15 July 2019

The Angry Red Spot

On Father's Day, Kyler took Caleb to the ER.  I thought I'd see them back home in a matter of hours, probably with a prescription for oral antibiotics. I was mistaken.

Caleb had been sick and feverish for a couple of days, but that evening I noticed a bright red swollen bump behind his ear and we decided to take him to the doctor.
Kyler headed to the closest ER around 6 PM. They decided Caleb was worth looking at, and hours later also got an IV and some antibiotics into him. It was not the easy feat, requiring 8 attempts. Apparently the kid is related to me. Sorry. Caleb was pathetic enough that after about attempt 4, one of the nurses lent him her phone to watch Paw Patrol.
Isn't it just heart-breaking?
The ER suspected it was mastoiditis, adenitis, or simply an infected lymph node, and wanted him to go to the ER at the children's hospital. So, around 3 AM, Kyler headed that way. And then he waited several more hours. Waited to be taken back to the a room in the ER, waited for the ER pediatrician, waited for the surgeon, and finally, waited for a room for Caleb.
More than 24 hours after he left for the first ER, I tagged Kyler out at the hospital so he could go sleep.
Caleb was still in the ER, waiting for a room to open up on the floor, but at least he had a popsicle to keep him company. The antibiotics had also improved his mood and reduced his fever, to that was good too.
And finally, around 10 PM, we were taken up to a room in the children's hospital.
So, Monday night was better for everyone than the night before. I didn't sleep great, because... Hospital. But I couldn't complain too much. It was better than Kyler's night in 2 different ERs.
Around 2 AM, Caleb woke up and wasn't settling back down, so the nurse brought more Advil. Less than 5 minutes later, he was asleep and is just now waking up, having slept for almost 6 hours straight, which is impressive when you consider he gets his vitals checked, every 4 hours, and a new dose of antibiotics through his IV every 8.

Caleb did not like his IV. He kept saying his arm is stuck and wanting to pull the whole thing off.
The nurse successfully got his 6 AM dose of antibiotics going without waking him up. As soon as the liquid started to flow, he wiggled and squirmed, in his sleep, before settling down again.
Tuesday morning, the ENT surgeons came around 7. They managed to check out his swelling without waking him too. They saw a slight improvement with antibiotics, but usually they see more of one. At this point, they suspect it's an infected lymph node still, but are concerned it would abscess, which usually don't go away with antibiotics alone. They told me if it's not looking quite a bit better by 48 hours post antibiotics, then we'd do an ultrasound or a CT scan.
After a hard time waking up, Caleb had a good morning. We read 6 books, watched 2 episodes of paw patrol, actually ate some breakfast, and he discovered the bed has buttons that make it go up and down.
Basically, he couldn't be happier, as long as you don't come near him with a blood pressure cuff or touch his ear.
...which meant that he hated when they sent us for an ultrasound Tuesday afternoon. He screamed and moved and was generally absolutely miserable, not that I blame him. They still managed to get images, and confirmed there is a 2.5 cm pocket of fluid there. The good news from the ultrasound was that the bone was not infected. Instead, the doctors decided his red spot was either an abscess or a congenital cyst and tell me they'll do a CT scan to find out the next morning.
He found a truck to play with, ate playdough (ew), pretended his pillowcase was a costum, and was bouncy and silly and helped calm an anxious Mommy's nerves with his joy.

During the night, the nurse discovered his IV had moved some, so they needed to redo it Wednesday morning.  As they prepped to put the IV back in with numbing cream in a few likely spots, Caleb was not thrilled. I think he knew what was coming.
After one failed attempt by the resident, they asked a pediatric ICU nurse put in a new IV, and she got it. I held him, another nurse held him, a third nurse handed equipment, and another held the iPad and talked to Caleb. Quite the team. It was a little stressful. I didn't realize how tight I was holding him until I let him go, but everyone survived and he got prizes for his bravery.
The ENT team had me sign consent to drain the infection, regardless of it was a cyst or not, at around 7 AM. Of course, before they did anything, he was to do his CT. But I was hopeful he'd get the drain put in sooner than later, especially since Caleb wasn't allowed to eat so he could be put under for the drain,
Around 10 AM, Caleb got his CT scan. I was in the CT with him. They didn't sedate him, but I held the iPad up so he could see it inside. They had to put the apron and neck cover on me, so I told him I was a superhero. He then wanted to be a superhero, too, so they got one of the aprons and put it over his chest. 
I took this picture and then showed it to Caleb when I realized he hadn't seen it. I told him this was why his ear hurt. He said, "Wow! That's quite red!"
After the CT, we... waited.
The pediatricians came and told me that the CT showed it was an infected brachial cleft cyst, which means they wanted to clear out the infection, and then take out the cyst sac. I kept hoping that the doctors would come tell me it was time Caleb will go to the OR, but instead we kept waiting...
In the afternoon, Caleb asked for a snack and then cried when I told him no. He's (thankfully) not used to being hungry and not being allowed to eat. And he mostly was in good spirits, even if I was getting frustrated - and making sure to (politely) express my frustration to all the doctors and nurses. When the pediatrician came in at 5 PM to tell me that Caleb still wasn't going into surgery (having not eaten since 10 PM), he brought Caleb a popsicle and apple juice to appease me slightly, and promised that ENT would take Caleb back that night, but that it wouldn't be for a few more hours. Poor kiddo.
Kyler and the kids came to visit and we went for a little walk, taking Caleb's saline with him (no food for about 20 hours, by now, remember? Gotta keep him hydrated). Kyler and I discussed us trading out again, but I really wanted to get the drain in, and we also decided I'd be more anxious at home than in the hospital, while Kyler would be more anxious in the hospital than at home.
And finally, around 8:30, they have bring me a gown for Caleb because it's time to get ready.
By 9 PM, we're in pre-op, talking to surgeons and anesthesiologists. This surgery was just to drain out the infection. 6 weeks or so down the road, they will do a second surgery to remove the cyst, when it isn't infected. The OR team brings me into the OR with Caleb, having me stay with him until he's unconscious. Then they send me to wait, but I don't have to wait long. 20 minutes later, they're done and Caleb is in recovery. They had me go wait back in Caleb's room until he was fully awake.
At 10:30 PM, they bring him back to me, his red spot already less red and spotty. Apparently, the staff in the OR recovery room asked him if he wanted a popsicle or a blanket or... And he just kept saying no, he wanted mommy, very calmly. They thought he was adorable. Once he was with me, then Caleb wanted a popsicle. He told me, "Don't worry, Mom. I won't spill it. I'll be careful."

Thursday was pretty good, as far as hospital days go. Caleb slept, hard, after his little surgery, and when he woke up, he finally got to eat real food again, an opportunity he relished with gusto.
His drain looked a bit bloody, but it seemed to be working. Caleb could open his mouth to eat and to talk quite a bit more than in previous days, and it made me realize how (relatively) little he had talked while at the hospital. I'm assuming it hurt him.
After a nap, we headed to the play area and I got a little break while some of the hospital staff played with him and his "farm."
And I finally felt calm enough that Kyler and I switched out for one last night, so I can go home and sleep in my own bed without interruptions and actually spend a little time with my other two children. Oh, right. I'd forgotten about those.

Friday morning, before 8 AM, ENT came and removed his drain. They touched it, and bandaged it, all without Caleb even waking up. What a difference that was! 
And, with that, his IV out, and a prescription for oral antibiotics, Caleb was ready to rejoin the world. Five nights in the hospital, one of which was in the ER. More than I ever expected.
Through it all, Kyler and I felt such support. From each other, obviously, but also from countless friends and family members. Many people served us in many ways, both big and small. Everyone's actions, thoughts, and prayers were appreciated and helped buoy our family as we dealt with this.
And, of course, we are grateful to have this super cool dude home with us again!

He will need to have a follow-up surgery to remove his cyst, but that should be straight-forward, and not nearly as stressful as the unknown.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...