07 February 2010

Who needs to grow up? Who needs to know their future? Over-rated!

As previously promised, this episode of Kyler and Jeanette features a healthy dose of pretending to be seven, a fair amount of wishing for phone calls, a little disappointment, some decent food, and something to look forward to. But I can't spoil the plot so soon! You must be patient!

First, Kyler and I pretend to be seven years old. I realized that in the entire eight months we've lived in this apartment (such an eternity!), we hadn't made a fort. This thought immediately shamed me, and the planning began. Cookies were made, furniture rearranged, and movies netflixed. As a result, Kyler and I had a fort to be proud of:
We even spent the night in it, and it wasn't too bad. We used all the couch cushions as a mattress.

Second, the days were accomplished that Kyler should hear from grad schools, offering interviews, and giving us a definite future instead of the unknown. Days came and went, and no phone calls, no emails, no letters... no known future. Interview weekend for at least one of the schools (if not all) has now past, and Kyler has heard nothing. Needless to say, he was a little disappointed. However, we did as I promised: we'd go out to dinner wherever Kyler wanted, whether in celebration or in consolation. In this case, it ended up being the latter. However, the consolation food appeared to have worked:


Before

After
(Okay, so he's really bad at looking sad, or even happy, when he's told to for the camera. Use your imagination a bit.)

Third, the Olympics
are just around the corner! In less than a week, we will be heading out to Portland, and then a few days after that, up to Vancouver, British Columbia! Who needs silly sporting events like the Superbowl (especially when you don't have TV) when the OLYMPICS are so close?
And, as a bonus, here is a description of a less-than-typical,-but-not-altogether-strange day at work:

9:55 AM - Get to work (I'm working the later shift today). Paulette is not at her desk, and I put my stuff down and am about to go see if I can find
her or if she needs help with anything.
9:56 AM - Get a page that there is blood in the clinic. In
stead of finding Paulette, I decide to go pick it up.
9:56:30 AM - Jan calls. "Jeanette! You're here!" "Yes." "Did you get that page?" "Yes." "Are you going to go pick it up?" "Yes."
"Great! Paulette's in the OR, call us if you need any help." "Okay."
9:58 AM - Start processing blood.
10:45 AM - Get paged by gross room. A surgery that had been a mastectomy yesterday and today is a l
umpectomy creates a rather large piece of tissue, and the staff doesn't want to get in trouble.
10:50 AM - Get to gross room. The lumpectomy is rather large; the tumor is not.

11:15 AM - Come back to the lab empty handed.

11:16 AM - Continue processing blood.

11:30 AM - In between blood spins, embed some polyps in paraffin.

11:35 AM - Continue processing blood.
12:15 PM - Tell Paulette to go to lunch. She might never get the chance otherwise.
1:10 PM - Meet Kyler for lunch! Yay!
1:50 PM - Continue processing blood.

3:15 PM - Paulette changes out of scrubs and goes home.
3:30 PM - Get called into the OR at the University.

3:32 PM - Leave Lab Aides
in charge of blood processing; change into scrubs.
3:40 PM - Wander around University Hospital, trying to find OR 4.

3:45 PM - Find OR 4; collect tissue.

3:50 PM - Get paged by Huntsman OR.

3:51 PM - Get patient information on University OR patient

3:52 PM - Get paged by
the Lab Aides.
3:53 PM - Leave University OR; call Lab Aides

3:55 PM - Head to Huntsman OR 4.
4:02 PM - Meet Lab Aide at Huntsman OR Front Desk; trade tissue from University OR for collection equipment for Huntsman OR 4.
4:05 PM - Enter Huntsman OR 4.

4:15 PM - See blood splatter all over the surgeon's neck and face mask.
4:25 PM - Breast is remo
ved.
4:30 PM - Enter gross room with breast.
4:40 PM - Receive tissue from staff.

4:42 PM - Get paged by Huntsman OR 1.
4:43 PM - Freeze cancerous breast tissue.
4:44 PM - Get paged by Lab Aides.

4:45 PM - Freeze "normal" breast tissue.

4:47 PM - My boss enters gross room: my favorite surgeon needs me in the OR.

4:48 PM - Grab cryotubes, a pen, and liquid nitrogen.

4:50 PM -
Enter Huntsman OR 1.
4:51 PM - Inform my favorite surgeon that Thais no longer works here and hasn't for 10 months.

4:52 PM - Start freezing vials of polyps.

4:55 PM - Freeze "normal" colon.

4:58 PM - Thank my favorite surgeon
and leave OR.
5:00 PM - Realize I've been away from the lab, on my feet, and constantly moving for the last hour and half.

5:01 PM - Collect my equipment that I left in the gross room.

5:02 PM - Head back to the lab.

5:10 PM - Enter lab; Aides are hard at work finishing/starting several patients worth of blood.

5:12 PM - Weig
h tissue from University Hospital.
5:20 PM - Start entering tissue from University Hospital into the computer tracking system.

5:30 PM - Weigh breast tissue

5:40 PM - Start entering breast tissue into the computer tracking system.

5:50 PM - Check on Lab Aides

5:55 PM - Decide to chang
e out of scrubs.
5:59 PM - Colon can wait until Monday to be weighed and entered into the system, right? As long as it stays frozen...

6:02 - Log
off computer.
6:05 - Lock up drawers with patient information.

6:06 - Check o
n Lab Aides.
6:12 - Head out to the car.

6:15 - Thank heavens that Kyler is picking me up.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad Sven made an appearance in the blog. I've missed hearing from him.

I'm also surprised it's taken you so long to build a fort. That was one of the first things Andy and I did in our apartment.

LOVE YOU.

Amy said...

Wow. Rad fort. And you have my head spinning with your crazY busy day at work. i can't believe you could even remember everything you did!

Anonymous said...

That was a hilarious description of your day.
Are you SURE Kyler hasn't been accepted anywhere? I mean, were there actual letters, or mere silence? Because I got silence from the school I eventually went to--it just took them extra time to send the letter.
And I love the fort.

Debra/Mom said...

I can't believe "blood splatter all over the surgeon's neck and face mask", was not the "Gross Room".
Also, I agree with Loradona. Until they tell you "NO" right to your face, I would not give up.
Do you think that your dad would go for a fort?

Genavee said...

Our apartment has such great fort potential. And I just figured out to do with our fourth snow day in a row.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...