30 March 2011

May you live in exciting times

My father apparently said at the beginning of March that is was going to be an exciting month for our family: my brother was going to find out what he is doing and where he is going post-Japan (this summer), my brother and sister-in-law were going to find out if they are having a boy or a girl, Kyler and I were going to find out if we're having a boy or a girl, and Kyler and I were going to decide where we are going to be and what we will be doing this fall. Exciting!
But, exciting times are both a blessing and a curse.

Of course, we did find out we are having a girl, and we couldn't be more thrilled (although we would've been happy with a boy, too). Jill also finally got her ultrasound the other day, and she and my brother are having a girl, as well! We are going to have three little girl cousins in my side of the family, two of them (due) within a week or so of each other. Very exciting, and very good news!

My brother also found out (probably) what he is doing post-Japan... but because of the earthquakes and tsunamis (I'm sure you all heard of that), Jill has officially left Japan, most probably permanently, and is in Atlanta. I'm glad she and Lilia are safe, but I know it was hard and a bit of a disappointment to leave the way they did. My brother is still in Japan, and I could not be more proud of him. As is mentioned in this article about the ship he is on, he and his shipmates are dropping off supplies, including their own clothes and blankets.
Exciting times in Japan, but not really of the good kind.

Kyler and I were a little disappointed to hear that some of the schools we really wanted to go to in the fall rejected him... but we did get good news, too.So people did like Kyler, and his dreams of going to grad school can be fulfilled. However... it will be expensive, tedious, and frustrating not only moving, not only moving with a one-month-old, but moving to a different country (home for Kyler!) requiring him to probably give up his residency here in the States, and requiring me to get residency in Canada... not an easy or simple process. Oh, nor is it cheap. Moving, residency, and Calgary in general... not cheap.
Moving to Calgary is more difficult for me than for Kyler, obviously. But at least we will be relatively close to family, close enough to maybe actually be a good aunt and uncle to our nieces and nephews...

I realize in comparison to some other things, this month of excitement hasn't been that bad. But it has still felt very emotionally trying and draining.
One of the biggest blessings I've really come to appreciate the last few weeks is Kyler's seemingly unending patience, love, and support of me. Kyler and I are in this together, and I am so grateful for all he does.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...