26 November 2016

Presenting Doctor Kyler, PhD

On November 10, 2016, we celebrated a moment that has been a long time coming:
Kyler getting his PhD in experimental psychology. Technically, he defended his dissertation, thus actually completing his degree, back in May before Caleb was born. Side note: apparently his adviser was worried the whole time that I would go into labor even though it was, like, 3 weeks before my due date. Kyler and I were not concerned. But this was the day we celebrated all the hard work and countless hours Kyler has spent working, writing, editing, analyzing data, reviewing, teaching, grading, learning, and growing the last five years.
And what celebration is complete without a string quartet?
This was Kyler's first convocation since high school. When he skipped out on walking for his Bachelor's, he promised my mom he'd walk for his PhD, and so here we are.
I was actually really anxious about coming to graduation with all three kiddos, 
until my mom told me she booked a flight and was coming, too!
Oh, did that decrease my stress levels about the impending ceremony!
Although, I really needn't have worried. Craig slept through half of it,
and all three of them were fantastic. People around us even complimented them (and me) on how well behaved they were. I tried not to act too surprised by their behavior...
There was a bagpipe, by the way, and I'm assuming that kilt is in the official University of Calgary tartan, because yes, the school totally has one.
I wasn't expecting to cry at Kyler's graduation. But when the Chancellor told the graduates to point to the people who deserve "the assist" (like in hockey after you score a goal! What? It is Canada.), and Kyler pointed at me and grinned, I started to tear up.
I was so proud of what he'd accomplished. What we'd accomplished, I suppose. Kyler has worked so hard the last five years, waking up at dawn (or before!), staying up late, spending countless hours poring over data and writing papers. And we were here. We were done!
And he was pointing at me and blowing me a kiss. And so I cried, grinned, and blew him a kiss.
He later got a real one.
After the ceremony was over, we headed out to get pictures.
And cuddle babies, while the pictures were being set up!
Of course, we had to get one of the classics:
The iconic parents flanking the grad pose!
And finally, Kyler, me, and some of his greatest accomplishments the last five years.
Congratulations, Dr. Rasmussen! I couldn't be more proud of you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...