27 October 2011

Fights of the One Less Travelled

So, for my Master's thesis, I'm going to be interviewing people. Lots of people. For a long time. This has presented the problem of how on earth I'm going to transcribe dozens of hours of audio into text, so I can then code and work with it in a quasi-scientific fashion. One thing that's clear is that Windows 7 Speech Recognition is not the solution to that problem. It is, however, unendingly hilarious.

This brings me to the first part in our indeterminate-number-of-part series entitled: (Mangled) Poetry Corner, brought to you by Windows 7. In this episode, we bring you Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken, as dictated by me and filtered through the artistic lens of Speech Recognition. First, the original poem:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.


Epic, is it not? Still, Windows 7 shows Robert how poetry should be done:

Two roads diverged from the deal would
End sorry I could not travel vote
End the one traveler, while nice to a
And more than one as far as I can
Two word Pentium reform

Then took the other, has just as there
And having perhaps the better claim
because it was grassy and wondered where
Well as for that passing their
There were none really about the same

Envelope that morning only way
Believes those that can't run black
Alike at the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leaves on Two-way
I found that I should ever come back

I shall be telling this was assigned
Some were teaches me his hands
Two roads diverged in wood and I
Fights of the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.


Bravo, Windows 7. Bravo.

3 comments:

Taran said...

That had a strangely similar word choice to a Killers song lyric. Is that what Brandon Flowers meant all along?

Anonymous said...

Kyler, that is one of my favorite poems. Windows is stupid. In the true sense of stupid.
MomMay

Loradona said...

That was awesome. I love poetry, especially when an expert such as Windows is writing it. I mean, the voice recognition software really nailed it and I think it was so profound in this particular translation. I was brought to tears. The point where I was so deeply touched was in the symbolism of this statement: "There were none really about the same Envelope." Beautiful, really. Simple, eloquent, powerful. Thank you, Kyler, for bringing this to my awareness so that I could grow emotionally. I will always cherish this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...