29 December 2008

Winter Snow Blast Apocalypse Armageddon Devastation 2008

Well, Kyler and I are back in Provo after spending about a week in Oregon. That week of non-traveling was benign enough: we did almost nothing because it snowed 16 inches... at my house! I don't think I've ever seen that much snow fall over such a short amount of time in Utah, much less in Portland! It was fun, though, even if it meant Christmas at Grandma's was postponed a bit due to my aunt not being able to drive down soon enough.

Speaking of driving... this is what made the trip less than ideal. Every other roadtrip Kyler and I have been on has included getting really sleepy while driving and needing to switch drivers fairly often to prevent that whole falling asleep at the wheel thing. I was kind of worried about that, kind of praying that we'd be able to stay awake... and God has a funny sense of humor.
On the way there, basically as soon as we were out of Utah, the roads were... not the best I've ever seen. I'd never actually driven in snow, and let's just say... I have now.
On the way back to Utah... it was possibly even worse. My father told us when we left there was black ice on a stretch of road for about 100 miles... and I definitely found it in at least one place. Kyler had to drive after that, because my nerves were shot. His weren't great, but he excels at being calm. We were about 270 miles from home when... the freeway was closed due to blizzard-like conditions that were supposed to last until the evening. Kyler and I decided to bag it, get a hotel, and just chill, eat chinese food, and watch The Office, season 2.
We did finally make it back, many miles and hours later. While going through Idaho, we saw no less than 6 cars off the road, one of them flipped. Kind of freaked me out, but we survived.
I don't like driving in the snow and ice.

Spending time with my family was great, though. I hadn't been home in a year, so being in Portland was fun. We made a snowman, took the train downtown, spent lots of time mocking the news reporters constantly talking about "Winter Blast" or "Snowmageddon" or "Snowpocalypse" 2008. Seriously, people, get a life.

I still only have 1 grade posted online. That means, while I don't officially know I've finished all my requirements, I do currently have a 4.0 for the semester! So what if it's only 3 credits?

In other news, my brother and sister-in-law found out they're having a girl! I'm going to have a neice! And everything looks healthy and happy, yay!

Currently listening to Iron and Wine "Such Great Heights"
Currently eating baby carrots and ranch!

1 comment:

Wodin said...

Hooray for snowpocalypse 2008! Or not. I'm glad you're back in Provo, safe and sound. You are adorable and funny. I can't wait to see you in April.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...