31 October 2008

Remind me not to kill my students...

I started shadowing the new PA this week. His name is Teiano, and he's Samoan. He works at the Central Utah Clinic, in orthopedics. I may get to come in and see a surgery some time! It's interesting. I got to see a whole bunch of people with problems similar to mine, but worse, and for exercise, he recommended an exercise bike. Honestly, I want one for when it's cold, but I have no money, and not a ton of space to put it in anyway. But, the first thing he asked me, after my major and everything, was if I had taken histology! He took it when it was insane, harder than med school histology classes. Now, we've toned it down a little--it's an undergrad class. When I told him I was a lab TA for it, he seemed a little impressed. Yay me.

Speaking of tissues, though... one of my students is driving me crazy (I know, I know, it's a short drive). On my Wednesday night open lab hours, which are supposed to go until 8, he has convinced me to progressively stay later, so the last two weeks I've been there until 9. He keeps saying, "One more question..." and asking if I have "anything pressing" I need to do... technically, no, but I want to go home! He also asked me if I was going to be able to come early to class on Thursday. Bah. He's a very needy kind of student, and asked about a certain structure--purkinje cells--5 or 6 times on Wednesday. It was so much that some of the other students who were there (but left at about 8:05) started noticing. I'm a sucker, I want my students to do well, but I don't think strangling him would help in that...

Oh, and Mom: I saw Michael Boswell yesterday. He's a biology major! He says he's not going to get much play time this year (or, you know, none), but playing and getting the experience before his mission is still great. He's a nice kid. He asked if he'd get to take a class from me, and I sadly informed him that this was my last semester TAing, since I have to graduate and all.

I love Fridays. The only day I don't have to be on campus in the mornings, I have time to study and do homework...

Currently listening to Jack Johnson "Taylor."

2 comments:

Debra/Mom said...

My advice about the "needy" student. When her asks if you can stay late, you tell him you can stay for 15 minutes. And yes, you do have something pressing.
Maybe Kyler can meet you after class. It's too bad he's such a nice guy and not intimidating at all.
Be strong.
Or I could just come and break his nose or something.
Love you.

Wodin said...

Ditto what Mom said. I mean, you DO technically have something pressing--it's called taking care of yourself. You are very important. Really keep a firm limit, and suggest office hours if he persists.
ps--happy Halloween!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...